New York Eye & Ear Infirmary
Assistant Professor, Co-Director Facial Paralysis & Rehabilitation Center
Division of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
310 East 14 Street
New York, NY 1003
Phone: (212) 737-8700
Fax: (212) 979-4315
2007 – 2008 University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- Fellowship: Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Santa Barbara, CA
- Preceptors: Dr. Keller (Facial Plastics), Dr. Blackwell (Microvascular Reconstruction) (2003 – 2007)
2002 – 2003 New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, New York, NY
- Residency: Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Administrative Chief Resident 2006-2007
- Resident Teaching Award 2006-2007
Beth Israel Medical Center New York, NY
- Internship: General Surgery
1998 – 2002 Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
- M.D. with distinction in research in Otolaryngology
1994 – 1998 Columbia College, New York, NY
- B.A., Computer Science
2007 – 2008 Cottage Hospital, Santa Barbara, CA
Co-Investigator: Gregory S. Keller, MD.
- Prospective clinical trial of monopolar radiofrequency treatment of the aging neck
2003 – 2006 New York Eye & Ear Infirmary
Co-Investigators: Stimson Schantz MD, Jan Geliebter PhD.
- Activation of growth factor receptors EGFR and Met in papillary thyroid cancer
2001 – 2002 Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Department of Neuroscience
Preceptors: Mark Mehler, PhD; Thomas Van De Water, PhD.
- Application of stem cells to inner ear repair
1998 Department of Pharmacology, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons
Preceptor: Konstantina Alexandropoulos, PhD.
- Signaling properties of tyrosine kinases c-Src and Sin in mammalian cancer cells
1996 – 1997 Department of Biochemistry, Columbia University
Preceptor: Alexander Tzagoloff, Ph.D.
- Genetics of enzymes comprising the electron-transport chain of yeast mitochondria
2007 Cottage Hospital, Santa Barbara, CA
Mashkevich G, Keller GS. Monopolar Radiofrequency (Accent TM) Treatment of the Aging Neck: Ultrasound Investigation of the Impact on Tissue Thickness and Structure.
2004 – 2006 Beth Israel Medical Center, New York.
Mashkevich G, Schantz S, Frank D, Tiwari R, Geliebter J. Proteomic, Immunologic and RNA Microarray Analysis of Thyroid Cancer.
Azizzadeh B, Mashkevich G. Nerve injuries and treatment in facial cosmetic surgery. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2009;21(1):23-9.
Mashkevich G, Urken ML. Aesthetic management of external skin paddles following microvascular reconstruction of the head and neck. Facial Plastic Surgery. 2008;24(1):65-8.
Abraham MT, Mashkevich G. Monopolar radiofrequency skin tightening. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. 2007;15(2):169-77.
Sclafani AP, Mashkevich G. Aesthetic reconstruction of the auricle. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. 2006;14(2):103-16.
Mashkevich G, Undavia S, Iacob C, Arigo J, Linstrom C. Malignant cylindroma of the external auditory canal. Otology & Neurotology 2006;27(1):97-101.
Xing L, Ge C, Zeltser R, Maskevitch G, Mayer BJ, Alexandropoulos K. c-Src signaling induced by the adapters Sin and Cas is mediated by Rap1 GTPase. Molecular and Cellular Biology 2000;20(19):7363-77.
Mashkevich G, Repetto B, Glerum DM, Jin C, Tzagoloff A. SHY1, the yeast homolog of the mammalian SURF-1 gene, encodes a mitochondrial protein required for respiration. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 1997;272(22):14356-64.
PUBLICATIONS & PROJECTS IN PROGRESS
- Mashkevich G, Keller GS. Utility of ultrasound in assessment of the aging neck.
- Keller G, Mashkevich G. Alma Pixel Er:YAG fractional laser, Alma Accent dual radiofrequency device for tissue contouring. In: Office Based Cosmetic Dermatology: Procedures and Techniques, Eremia ed. – Mashkevich G, Stewart C, Urken ML. Sublabial flap for internal nasal reconstruction.
- Zimbler M, Mashkevich G. Pearls in face-lifting.
LECTURES, PRESENTATIONS, & POSTERS
02/18/09 New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, NY
Free tissue transfer for the reconstruction of head and neck defects.
02/10/09 New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, NY
Facial skin rejuvenation.
01/13/09 New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, NY
Management of the aging brow, midface, face, and neck: face-lifting and blepharoplasty.
12/24/08 New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, NY
Management of chronic facial paralysis.
10/28/08 New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, NY
Mandibular reconstruction and soft tissue trauma.
10/25/08 The Fifth Northeast Regional Course on Facial Reconstruction, UMDNJ, NJ
09/23/08 New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, NY
Skin flaps and tissue expansion.
09/09/08 New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, NY
Facial analysis, skin anatomy and wound healing.
09/18/08 AAFPRS Annual Meeting, Chicago
Trauma and reconstructive surgery (free paper session moderator).
09/2007 AAFPRS Annual Meeting, Washington, DC.
Skin thickness distribution in the human face.
09/2006 AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada.
Activation of growth factor receptors in papillary thyroid carcinoma.
05/2006 9th International Symposium of Facial Plastic Surgery, Las Vegas, NV
Simplified suspension of the paralyzed face (poster).
05/2006 Grand Rounds, New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, NY
Growth factors and target receptors in papillary thyroid carcinoma.
AAFPRS Annual Meeting, Chicago
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Dissection Course Stanford, CA
Treatment of Aggressive Thyroid Cancer after the Chernobyl Nuclear Accident United Nations, New York
17th Annual Course on Multidisciplinary Management of Head and Neck Cancer Course Director: Mark L. Urken, MD Beth Israel Medical Center, New York
16th Annual Course in Contemporary Approaches to Head and Neck Surgery MSSM, NY
Annual Meeting AAO-HNSF Toronto, Canada
NYC Aging Face Conference New York
9th International Symposium of Facial Plastic Surgery Las Vegas, NV
16th Annual Course on Multidisciplinary Management of Head and Neck Cancer
15th Annual Course on Multidisciplinary Management of Head and Neck Cancer
Principles of Operative Treatment of Craniomaxillofacial Trauma and Reconstruction. AO ASIF North America, New York
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- American Medical Association
- New York Facial Plastic Surgery Society
- Medical Society of the State of New York
ACADEMIC & PROFESSIONAL COMMITTEES
- Surgical Scope and Acuity Committee, New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, 2008-present.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Resident Teaching Award, New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, 2007
- Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society, 2002
- M.D. with distinction in research in otolaryngology, 2002
- Dean’s List, Columbia College, 1994-1998
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship, Columbia College, 1996
- New York (236999)
- California (A98950)
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCES
Summer 1997 Microsoft Redmond, WA
EXTRACURRICULAR & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
1999 – 2002
Anatomy Tutor, Education Office, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1998 – 1999
Volunteer, Needle Exchange Program, Albert Einstein College of Medicine